VO - Introduction to meteorology and climatology
Fundamentals of the climate system for undergraduate students (winter semester, 2hrs). Topics: components of the climate system, general circulation of the atmosphere and of the oceans, climate variability (ENSO, NAO, Monsoon), climate change and climate policy.
VU - Physics of the climate system
Advanced course in physical climatology for graduate students (winter semester, 3hrs). Practicals: individual study of the general circulation of the atmosphere using reanalysis data and Python. Topics: climate variability, synoptic climatology, paleoclimate, climate modelling, climate change and feedbacks.
VU - Scientific Programming
Advanced course in programming for graduate students (winter semester, 2+1hrs). Modern programming techniques for (geo-)scientists: numerics, software structure, unit testing, object oriented programming, version control, open development practices…
The lecture notes are available online.
VU - The Cryosphere in the Climate System
Advanced course in glaciology for graduate students (winter semester, 3hrs, co-taught with others). Practicals: analyse automatic weather station data, compute the energy and mass balance of a glacier surface.
SE - Literature seminar glaciology / climatology
Paper discussion group for graduate students (winter semester, 2hrs).
I give workshops related to programming, open-source and open-science topics. Some of my recent presentations are available online:
- 31.01.2017: Getting started with Python
- 07.02.2017: xarray: multi-dimensional data analysis in Python
- 07.11.2017: What open-source can do for you and what you can do for open-source
(if you are curious about the tool I used to generate these presentations, this blog post) explains it in a little more detail)
- Gregor, P. (master thesis)
- Glacier ice thickness inversion using regularization approaches
- Hartmann, M. (master thesis)
- Sources of air masses and moisture during wet and dry spells in the Rio Santa basin, Peruvian Andes
- Hatvan, V. (master thesis @ UNIS Svalbard, co-supervised)
- Evaluation of the physical SNOWPACK model under arctic conditions
- Kilian, M. (master thesis @ DLR, co-supervised)
- Chemische Veränderung der globalen Atmosphäre nach Vulkanausbrüchen in globalen Klima-Chemie Modellsimulationen
Click here for the list of past advisees.
Past courses and student evaluations
|Winter 2017/18||Physics of the climate system||Graduate||ACINN||Link|
|Winter 2017/18||Einführung in die Klimatologie||Undergrad||ACINN||Link|
|Summer 2017||The Cryosphere in the Climate System||Graduate||ACINN||Link|
|Winter 2016/17||Physics of the climate system||Graduate||ACINN||Link|
|Winter 2016/17||Einführung in die Klimatologie||Undergrad||ACINN||Link|
|Winter 2016/17||Literature seminar glaciology / climatology||Graduate||ACINN||not evaluated|
|Summer 2016||The Cryosphere in the Climate System||Graduate||ACINN||Link|
|Summer 2016||The climate system||Undergrad||ACINN||Link|
|Summer 2016||Literature seminar glaciology / climatology||Graduate||ACINN||not evaluated|
|Winter 2015/16||Physics of the climate system||Graduate||ACINN||Link|
|Summer 2013||Scientific programming and statistics||Graduate||TU Berlin||not evaluated|
|Summer 2011||Meteorological field excursion in north Sweden||Graduate||TU Berlin||not evaluated|
VO (“Vorlesung”, regular lectures) VU (“Vorlesung mit Übung”, lectures with integrated practicals), and SE (“Seminars”). ↩